Remarks from Fr. Glover for the Boy’s State Basketball Triumph

Remarks Given at the Cafaro Foundation’s Recognition of Boys’ State Basketball Title
Eastwood Mall Complex, Niles, Ohio – 19th April, 2017

I want to take this opportunity to thank the Cafaro Company for this tremendous celebration and for the honor and generosity you bestow on us. I thank Joe Bell and the Eastwood Mall Complex for accommodating us at this celebration. We are furthered honored by the presence of area dignitaries – President Tressel, Coach Calhoun, and Commissioner Koledin.

We are, indeed, proud of all of the accomplishments of our students who make up the Kennedy Catholic Family of Schools, and proud of our exceptional academic and athletic traditions. This state title, our second in a row now, is another feather to add to our hat.

These young men personify all that is good and well at Kennedy. Throughout the season, they have worked hard on and off the court. They have recognized that, only as a team, is their success possible, and that embracing challenges overcoming perceived limitations builds character. Each individual of this team has demonstrated their commitment to something greater than themselves, to success beyond personal achievement. They have learned that discipline yields positive results, and that good sportsmanship is its own reward. Most importantly, we are inspired at Kennedy Catholic to nurture and cultivate all of our gifts and talents precisely because recognize them as given to us by our Creator, by our God.

I would be gravely remiss if I did not acknowledge a debt of gratitude all of us owe to Coach Mancino and his assistants. Too often, only the time you spend at practices and games are recognized. I know, personally and first-hand, the amount of time and energy coaches spend “behind the scenes” – and not only on basketball business, but on coaching players through the personal ups and downs of this game we call life. For all those countless and hidden hours you have given to this team, hours that are often more important than those spent in the gym, you have my/our sincere thanks and deep appreciation.

I want to conclude with one of my favorite quotes that comes from a second century saint, Irenaeus of Lyon: “The Glory of God is man fully alive.” By confronting every challenge, overcoming perceived limitations, rising to every competition, finding inspiration even in defeat, and pride in every victory, you have displayed yourselves as men fully alive and, by that, you have brought greater glory to God – and that is our life’s highest calling.

– Fr. Jason Glover, KCFS President